AIR VENT CONTROL

1998 Toyota Camry • 4 cylinder • 170,000 miles

I have a 1998 Camry and the air vents only blow air from the driver and passenger side vents and the middle vents. Air will not blow at the feet nor the defrost at the windshield. I do still get hot and cold air but it's not switching no matter what I turn the control **** to. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or how to get to the part which I believe is under the dash to fix? I don't think the category accurately defines my topic but that's the closest I could come to.
Rjswymer

The problem should be due to a stuck or faulty air outlet servomotor or its linkages, located behind right center of dash, on blower motor housing.

I can't thank you enough for your response and the diagram. You're the first to hit the nail on the head! Now to tackle this challenge do I need to replace this part or parts/pieces to this part? Is it best to remove the dash to get to it?

Rjswymer
You need not remove the dash to get to the part and whether it requires replacement depends on what is wrong. Here are the procedures for testing...

AIR OUTLET SERVOMOTOR..
Unplug 7-pin air outlet servomotor connector. Apply battery voltage to terminal No. 6. Connect terminal No. 7 to ground. See Fig. 1. Connect the specified terminal to ground. See TESTING AIR OUTLET SERVOMOTOR table. Arm should rotate smoothly to correct position. If operation is not as specified, replace servomotor.

Looks like I need to replace the servomotor. So now where can I get one? Thanks again!

Rjswymer
Chck with your local parts outlets. The junk yard is another option. Last place would be the dealer.