SATURN SL1 EGR VALVE PROBLEM

1998 Saturn SL1 • 165,000 miles

The car is running pretty rough. How do I check the timing?

Are you talking about the cam timing? Also why do you suspect the timing? Could be a stuck egr valve or plugs and wires?

I replaced plugs and wires within the last six months. It just started running rough out of the blue.

Jdenton83
What kind of plugs did you put in?Hopefully not platnuim ones?Also just because the wires are that new doesnt mean they cant be bad.

Are you setting any codes?

I cleaned the EGR valve and that seems to have done the trick. Thank you very much for your help!

Jdenton83
Your welcome thats what were here for I hope you soaked the pintle the spring loaded part in carbon cleaner?If not you need to do that or most likely it will stick again soon most likely. You turn it up side down and push the pintle down and pour in some carbon cleaner and let it soak for atleast a half and hr. Then finsh cleaning it with some carb cleaner.