PARKING BRAKE HAS TOO MUCH PLAY

1998 Saturn SC2 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 160,000 miles

My parking brake handle on my 98 saturn sc2 is at full travel but not very effective. Adjustment nut is as tight as it will go. Is there another adjustment that needs to be done. Checked the rear brake pads, plenty of life left on them.

Aderosier

So you rear brake's are shoes or disc brake pad's?

My saturn is 4 wheel disc brakes

Aderosier
On the rear disc caliper's the piston's screw out to hold the ebrake adjustment on them. So your only adjustment is the 10mm nut at the ebrake arm. Are you sure the cable is moving the ebrake arm's on the rear caliper's?The arms freeze up on the rear caliper's in the salt and snow climate's pretty common. Let me know what you find.

I will check them out, I'm guessing if they are sticking just a wrench and some lube should solve that problem, however I'm wondering if they are sticking, wouldn't the handle be hard to move at all instead of having full travel with no effectiveness?

Aderosier
I have seen them stick and the handle still work's the cable's stretch if there frozen good luck freeing them up I have never had any luck freeing them up. Also make sure the cable is working and broken. Let me know what you find.

Ok, I will check it all out. Sounds like I might need to consider changing out the whole cable, sounds like it did stretch. Thanks for your advice, will advise how it goes.

Aderosier
Let me know what you find I would make sure it's the cable before changing it. It's a little bit of work to change it you have to remove the center console bottom cushion of the back seat and pull up some of the carpeting to change it.