98 : ELECTRICAL ISSUE

1998 Saturn SC2 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 150,000 miles

1998 Saturn SC2
Hi there,
I have a manual 98 Saturn SC2. It has about 150 clicks on it.
Two days back I had some clunking while driving. When I started the car in the morning it started just fine and about half a block it started sputtering, I thought I should shift down, but only if it was in neutral it will stay on, otherwise start sputtering again.
Finally, I stopped the car and tried to restart it, I restarted once and then it died totally. No engine lights, no indicator lights, nothing on the dash lights.
Strangely, my horn and brake lights work.
I tried giving it a boost but no success, there was simply no lights at all when I try to turn on the ignition.
Thanks and regards
K910

The first thing you need to check is make sure the battery cables are clean and tight also have the battery tested. If all that is good we can go from there. Do you have a multimeter?You will need one to do some testing if the first two things I suggested dont work.

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply.
I checked the terminals, they look just as new, no acid on them.
The connections look great. I am going to arrange a multi meter to do the next step as per your instructions.
Just a quick question, "BATTERY TESTED", you mean check the voltage output of the battery.

K910
No I mean have the battery tested at a auto parts store once we get all that tested we can trace power with the multimeter. Have you checked all the underhood fuses especially the large ones for being blown?

Some more observation : 1. Dome light working
2. Power outlet ( For charging phones ) working.
3. Door unlock/lock button working.
4. Emergency flasher button working.
5. Parking lights and beam lights switch (Left hand side of the steering column ) working.

NOT WORKING : Anything which is operational only after turning the key to the ignition position.
Example : Wipers, CD player, blower and Engine of course.

K910
I know you havent had the battery tested yet but did you atleast check and see if all the fuses were good in the under hood fuse box especialy the large maxi fuses the ones that feed power to the ignition switch and starter?

Hello Saturntech9
Sorry, I could not get the battery tested.
But I have double checked the fuses ( The 30 amps specially and all the rest : Under the hood and inside the car )
I used the continuity tester for checking the fuses.
Also, I hooked up my car battery with another running car through boost cables to see if atleast my engine lights come on. NO Success either.
If I am not mistaken then can we roll out a faulty alternator since at least the engine lights would have come on.
I will get a multi meter most likely today in the evening from my friend.
What should be our next step?

K910
Going to the ignition you will see a big red wire let me know if you have battery voltage to it. Let go from there.

Got it working.
The ignition switch socket was disconnected.
Thanks a million

K910
Your welcome thats what were here for.