RETRIEVING CODES

1998 Saturn SC1 • 139,000 miles

I hooked up my auto x-ray 6000 to get the codes from the 98 saturn and it says car is not responding. Didnt have this issue before. Did have the code for the evap system which I wanted to work on. But also been having problems with it starting after it gets warm. It clicks and tries to turn over but you have to hit the switch a few times then it will finally turn over and start. This is after it gets warm. Think im getting a weak battery also but was starting before. But I cant pull any codes. Any ideas. Thanks
Lalfan

Does your scan tool power up off the connector?Or are there batteries in the scan tool. You could have a blown fuse that powers the connector that's the most common reason for that. As far as the no start could be a bad battery loose dirty connection or bad starter. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

It does have batteries. I can check the fuse. Should be under the hood. I no the battery drains after a week of sitting but was starting. I have just put in 2 starters in 2 97 sl2 cars. It might be low enough that I wont start it. After it cools it will start up again real easy. Really thinking I have both issues there but probably will try different battery but wanted to check scan first. Last time I asked you about this car was checking evap code n u said check under intake manifold. Was just now getting time to do it. Didnt want to unhook battery yet. And I do have a ohm meter. Thanks

Lalfan
Yeah I remember you I have answered several of your questions. If memory serves correctly its the lighter fuse inside the car. Remove the battery from the scan tool and see if the tool powers up off the connector. Sounds like you have excessive drain on the battery causing it to dye over time when it doesn't run for a few days.I would have the alternator and battery tested.A bad diode in the alternator can cause that kind of draw. As far as checking under the intake manifold I think I told you to make sure the vacuum both vacuum lines were plugged. Into the canister purge solenoid and the solenoid was plugged in.

Yep u answer most of mine and thanks for that. Checked some fuses outside marked pcm. Nothing bad there. I can check alternator to. Want to try different battery before pulling the starter. Wanted to finally check the hoses vac. Hoses under the manifold. Thought if starter was bad I would be under there anyway. Will try to check fuse inside. Thanks

Lalfan
Yeah I am the Saturn expert on here so I try to answer as many Saturn questions as I can. Before you changethe starter let me know so we can make sure its a bad starter.

Put in different batteries for scanner. It has to have them to work. Didnt help. Cant find a blown fuse but for some reason my power door locks dont work. Thought I just changed a relay not long ago. Wanted to try other battery before doing a starter. It charges about 14 volts

Lalfan
See if your body or locks fuse is blown?

Finally remembered if the body fuse blows the locks dont work. Then checked and got codes to. So will have to remember that fuse. I asked before about misfires n u told me which plugs and wires to use. Had changed the plugs but not wires and I see I still get a few on 1, 2, and 3. Im sure I will get wires soon. I tried starting a few times after I got the codes and it was starting good but I still need to check battery and starter. I have an old load tester for battery.

Lalfan
So is the canister purge solenoid right above the starter? Do u have anything that u can send that shows it. I see 1 plastic line and a line that comes from the fuel filter line that go right above the starter. Thanks

Lalfan
It the only solenoid that is right about the starter with two lines going to it with connector going to it. Can't miss it. Also what kind of spark plugs did you out in the engine?

Page 1 of 10