PONTIAC GRAND PRIX ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix • 170,000 miles

I was thinking about putting a performance cam in my car. What should I look into getting?
Charlie1229

Probably a different car. You have a computer controlled engine and you can't simply put a different camshaft in the engine with some serious issues popping. For the same reasons, I doubt there is much even available for that engine. Not to mention that it would be against Federal law to attempt that.

Wrenchtech
Why is it against federal law. And I have seen some of the same car with an upgraded cam, not saying your wrong but I was just curious

Charlie1229
The federal tampering prohibition is contained in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.E, regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). The maximum civil penalty for a violation of this section by a manufacturer or dealer is $25,000; for any other person, $2,500. Accordingly, any change from the original certified configuration of a vehicle or engine, or the manufacture or sale of a non-original equipment aftermarket part or system could be considered a violation of section 203(a)(3) of the Act. This would include modifications to the fuel delivery system.

Wrenchtech