POWER STEERING

1998 Plymouth Voyager • 3.0L 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 173,000 miles

Hi there

Just recently we have been hearing a sort of flapping noise from under the hood on our Voyager. Today, the flapping stopped suddenly but the power steering packed up and now it feels like trying to turn an army tank around on a postage stamp just trying to get it around a corner. Can you give me any clues as to the cause of this and what it is likely to cost to fix?

Arty
ArtyJC65

Check to see what condition your belt is in probably shot. If so replace belt and tensioner local prices vary

Thanks, yes it was the belt, more or less shredded. Why do I need to replace the tension pulley? Would it be ruined if the belt breaks? I ask this because I didn't get your reply until after I changed the belt and now there's a squeak, even though the belt the is tight and properly on. I am wondering if it is a metal on metal squeal from the pulley?

ArtyJC65
Because tensioner lose their tension just like a belt wears and need to be replaced at asame time.