WHY IS MY CAR DOING THIS?

1998 Oldsmobile Aurora • V8 FWD Automatic •

My 98' olds aurora will not turn over. It use to take a few turns of the key in the ignition to get it to start. Most times it just started right up. Today, nothing. Could this be the starter or what?
Bfor1964

A few turns of the key? Like off on off on etc? Could be your ignition switch. Or perhaps neutal safety switch. Try starting it in neutral when this happens again.

Fixitmr
Nothing in neutral either. Usually when it doesn't start right away it starts after waiting a few minutes.

Bfor1964
Like turn key, let go, wait a moment, turn key, let go.

Bfor1964
It's sounds like ignition switch or take test at starter solenoid for voltage when you turn key to start.

Fixitmr
Does it start when the engine is cold and when the engine is warm/hot there is trouble starting?

Danlesabre
It use to be times whether hot or cold it would not start on the first attempt. However, if I tried starting it a few times it would either start or I would have to wait a few minutes, try it again and it would start. Now nothing.

Bfor1964
Sounds like your starter is worn. When dealing with electric motors, the hotter it is, the more current is needed to achieve the same torque. Since you sometimes have to wait, it is letting your starter cool down so the amount of current provided by the battery can get it to turn with enough strength to crank the engine. This may even be partially the problem. Before replacing the starter, check the electric connections, if there is corrosion, clean it, see if battery terminals can wiggle or are tight, etc. Does jump staring help at all or no?

Danlesabre
Jump starting does not help

Bfor1964
If you do not notice any bad electrical connections replace the starter.

Danlesabre
Today the car started right up! It has just been sitting because I haven't had the time to look at it. The instrument panel does go off occasionally

Bfor1964
Page 1 of 2