TYRE SMOKES

1998 Nissan Sentra • 276,000 miles

Two weeks ago l replaced wornout brake shoes for the rear wheels and never drove the car. Just recently, l drove the car for 20km and when l finally stopped there was a heavy smoke coming out of the left rear tyre. The wheel and the mag where very hot. I lifted that wheel up and discovered it was not turning, when l opened the drum for that particular wheel, the springs that hold everything together was loose and no longer in position and the brake fluid had already leaked(on both rear wheels), the brakes and the handbrake were no longer working, actually the entire braking system. Having drove the car for such a distance, do you think l might have damaged the bearings, to make matters worse it appears like there are some springs missing, l only saw three springs coming out of that drum-any idea of the number of springs from one drum as l'm struggling to get the brakeshoes into position
Kippie

Further to my question above "Tyre Smokes" l also suspect l might have driven the car for such distance with that wheel/tyre not in motion, as evidenced by the tyre not turning when l lifted the wheel up, by Kippie

Kippie
See pic for view of brakes, I would replace shoes and wheel cylinders if they have been overheated. Possibly the anti rattle clip has broken, that is the small clip that holds the shoe against the backing plate, check these and all springs carefully.

Mhpautos
Hi mhpautos

Thanks for your prompt response-much appreciated. On the brakes diagram which is my reference, are you able to point out the small clips you are refering to (clips that holds the shoe against the backing plate)that you suspect might be broken and also confirm the wheel cylinders and the bearings are they two different items

Your input appreciated

Kippie
Item 1 at top is the wheel cylinder, the wheel bearing is not shown in this pic, there are 2 shoe hold down or anti rattle clips, one for each shoe, item 2, these consist of the pin that fits through the backing plate, the spring and the retaining clip.

Mhpautos
Perfect and chrystal clear-l See the wheel cylinder as per the diagram is where the brake fluid for the wheel is stored inside the drum and that was were it leaked on the opposite rear wheel and was thinking of replacing the piston caps which had been badly burn't-Do you think l should replace the entire wheel cylinder. The wheel cylinder for the tyre in question is not leaking and no sign of it being damaged or tempered wit or must l replace both wheel cylinders. Don't you also think there might be a problem with the wheel bearings and must consider replacing them

Kippie
Otherwise what might have caused the smoke on the wheel this tyre. Wheel cylinder was not leaking at all

Kippie
I would replace the damaged wheel cylinder, if the other is not leaking and if you lift the boot seals on the end and there is no fluid there, leave it alone, the wheel bearing should be ok, just do the brakes and then listen for any grumbling noise from the wheel bearing, if faulty it will increase and decrease noise with road speed.

Mhpautos
Thanks again for the positive response-much appreciated, will have the damaged wheel cylinder replaced without fail, but in your experience what are the chances of having the wheel bearings burn't or damaged in a similar case as mine

Kippie
Wheel bearings are fairly tuff, the brakes will cook first if there is a problem, but, just to be safe, do the brakes ensure that all that is ok then test drive for bearing noise, but normally there should not be a problem.

Mhpautos
Hi and thanks again for your quik response-much appreciated. You have been helpfully

Kippie