PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHERE TO LOCATE ITEMS IN RESPONSE

1998 Nissan Pathfinder • 154,000 miles

Replied on September 22, 2012

you need to bring number 1 cylinder (where is this?) To top dead center on compression stroke (how do I do this?)And install the distributor with the rotor point (what is this?) At numer one in the cap.

Answered by ASEMaster6371 (expert)
5,722 answers provided

Jumpnjax

This is the image.

Remove the spark plug, tap the motor around till you feel pressure, then put a long coat hanger or something thin and move the motor till it tops out, it should line up with a mark on the crank. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing at number 1.

You do not need to start a new discussion. Just answer the same one

What should I tap the motor with and where exactly should I tap the motor?

Jumpnjax
Use the ignition key and briefly make the starter work.

After doing the steps you listed, I tried to start my car and would not turn over completely, tried to jump start my car, but that did not do it, any suggestions?

Jumpnjax
Did it try to start?

Yes, several times, but would not turn over - do you know why?

Jumpnjax
Not without being there. Did it run prior to this issue?

Why did you replace the distributor? Is it new or used?

I did not replace the distributor. It was removed w/o making marks to indicate its original position and this through off my timing. I was able to reset the timing, but the car still would not start-cranked, but did not turnover. Car ran fine before all this happened. It never passes its emissions test now and the state of Illinois continues to waive the test even after I make repairs. I replaced the egr valve 2 years ago, mass air flow sensor this year. Two estimates indicate I need a knock sensor, no one said anything about maybe cleaning the O2 sensors. Is this something I could do myself? Let me know. I found a cracked wire going to the distributor. Once this was replaced, I was able to jump the car, charge the battery and turnover the car. I tested the battery and need to purchase a new battery. My pathfinder is making a ticking sound near the timing belt. Do you know what causes the ticking sound? Also, I have a wire harness and a knock sensor and want to do a relocation of the new knock sensor from the top of the manifold to the knock sensor wiring. I don't want to go all the way into the manifold to replace the knock sensor. Have you ever seen this or done this relocation? Estimates so far have been ($950-$1200) for a mechanic to replace the knock sensor going inside the manifold rather than doing a top relocation.

Jumpnjax
Ok, so you replaced the timing belt?