FUEL PUMP

1998 Nissan Altima • 211,000 miles

I put in a new fuel pump as the other one would come on and stop after running for just a little amount of time. After putting in the new one same thing happens again fuel pump comes on then it stops again, I recycle key comes on then stops again.
Smittyd911

The pump only runs for a few seconds when you first turn the key to the run position while cranking the engine or with the engine running. The pump will only run constantly while the engine is running. Is that how your pump is aside from you can't see if it runs constantly because it doesn't run?Also any codes in the computer?Have you checked for spark yet?

I pulled the top of tank and had it hooked up flowing fuel into a gas can, it would run then shut off. If I recycle key it does same thing and then shuts off again.I would think as fuel is called for the pump runs?Or not

Smittyd911
No it runs like I just explained for a few seconds when turned to the run position while cranking and while engine runs the pump will run all the time. Do you have spark?Any codes in the computer?

No codes on computer, this all occurred as I was driving it would go so far then stop like no fuel. Then drive a little ways then stop again. Until it wouldn't start at all

Smittyd911
Very seldom does a fuel pump go out like that usually they just fail suddenly and don't work again. Do you have spark?