MY CAR IS SQUEALING REALLY LOUD RIGHT WHEN I START IT UP FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 105 miles

Iit will go away and then come back after a little bit. I thought it was my power steering or pc tension pulley. So I just cut my belt off to see if it would stop. Turned the car on and its still making a really loud squeal. What could this be?
Cam854

It sounds like the serpentine belt is loose or worn out, go here to get more info:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-serpentine-belt

thanks for using 2carpros.com

Fixitmr
Okay thanks so it shouldnt be the water pump? Because it dosnt have any over heating problems. How bad is it to drive it like this?

Cam854
Yon can use a tube to ear or auto stethoscope to pinpoint noise. Alternator could be belt or bearings

Fixitmr
Its already loud enough I dont wanna blow my ear drums =D so lets say its the alternator how bad is it to drive like this? The sound only last for about 45 seconds and it will randomly come back.

Cam854
Sounds like belt slip really. Especially if it's serpentine belt? No biggy in that case. Either tension is incorrect or belt grooves are worn out.

Fixitmr
What motor is it?

Fixitmr
2.0 liter dohc non turbo. I cut the serpentine belt off already to see if that was the problem, so tomorrow ill go ahead and coat the belt with some belt conditioner and see what happens from there. Thanks for all your help =)

Cam854
See what happens : -)

Fixitmr