MY CAR IS SQUEALING REALLY LOUD RIGHT WHEN I START IT UP FOR ABOUT 45 SECONDS, IT WILL GO AWAY AND THEN COME BACK AFTER A LITTLE BIT.

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 105 miles

I thought it was my power steering or pc tension pully. So I just cut my belt off to see if it would stop. Turned the car on and its still making a really loud squeal. What could this be?
Cam854

Alternator?

Fixitmr
Ok thanks so it shouldnt be the water pump because it dosnt have any over heating problems. How bad is it to drive it like this?

Cam854
Use a tube to ear or auto stethoscope to pinpoint noise. Alternator could be belt or bearings.

Fixitmr
Its already loud enough I dont wanna blow my ear drums =D so lets say its the alternator how bad is it to drive like this? The sound only last for about 45 seconds and it will randomly come back.

Cam854
Sounds like belt slip really. Especially if it's serpentine belt? No biggy in that case. Either tension is incorrect or belt grooves are worn out.

Fixitmr
What motor is it?

Fixitmr
2.0 liter dohc non turbo. I cut the serpentine belt off already to see if that was the problem, so tomorrow ill go ahead and coat the belt with some belt conditioner and see what happens from there. Thanks for all your help =)

Cam854
I'm not perfectly clear about what you are explaining but see what happens.

Fixitmr