FINDING AND CLEANING EGR VALVE ON SABLE.

1998 Mercury Station Wagon • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

Confirmed that this is why engine light is on. I'd like to clean it out.
Lackeyr

What I the exact code number being set?

Wrenchtech
Don't have the receipt in front of me, but it was low flow EGR, I think P0401

Lackeyr
That's not a dirty EGR valve. That's either a bad DPFE or a plugged EGR passage through the intake.

Wrenchtech
Thanks. So I could clean it out and/or replace the DPFE? How to clean it? I think I know where the EGR is located - driver's side back of engine, right on top like a mushroom. Not sure where the DPFE is.

Lackeyr
Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor also called a pressure transducer. They fail by the hundreds.

Wrenchtech
Ok, so what do I do next?

Lackeyr
Well, if you don't want to get it diagnosed properly, I'd try a new DPFE

Wrenchtech
What about the cleaning? I've seen responses suggesting wire insertions and chemical breakdowns (B-12). I'd like to do this myself because it seems so simple, as is buying a new DPFE. I think I should do both, no?

Lackeyr
BTW, I've gotten the same response before - replace the DPFE. This just doesn't seem to fix the problem. If there's carbon buildup, then I think it should be cleaned out. How to do this is the question. With a clothes hanger or with B-12 or something like it. Hey, I don't know what I'm doing, and that's why I'm here. There's mention of gasket replacements, throttle body cleanouts, hose replacements, etc. I'd just like a straight answer.

Lackeyr
I've given you one. It's your choice if you want to listen.

Wrenchtech
Page 1 of 2