POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK

1998 Mercury Sable • 150,000 miles

My 1998 Sable is losing power steering fluid. I finally bought some dye which I poured into the power steering reservoir and tracked the leak to what appears to be a sensor near the firewall on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It has a two-wire connector on top of it, and as far as I can tell, the leak is coming from the base of the sensor, though it doesn't feel loose. What is this sensor, and can I just replace it and not the whole assembly it's part of?
Mbongiov

Does it look like this? That's a pressure switch that is available separately.

Thanks! That's exactly what it was. I replaced the sensor and the leaking stopped. You guys are great!

Mbongiov
All right. One in a row!

I just found this topic through a google search on a power steering problem I have on my fiancee's mother's mercury sable and was hoping that you guys could answer me. I am having the same exact issue mbongiov was having even AFTER replacing the power steering pump and pulley. This might be the final solution in fixing this problem. Do you have a picture or diagram on where this is located? I could not for the life of me find it while doing a search behind the engine. Thank you so much if you can help me!

2xPutt
If you stand on the driver's side and look under the hood down below the master cylinder about a foot, you'll see something that looks exactly like the picture the guys printed above. The silver cylindrical part shown in the picture is only about an inch in diameter.

Mbongiov