MERCURY MYSTIQUE FUSE PROBLEM

1998 Mercury Mystique • 13,000 miles

I have the turn signal & blower motor problem. I have checked everything I can think of. It is not the 60 amp ABS/Blower motor fuse in the power distribution center under the hood (power to both sides). I did find it odd that there was no fuse # 7 in this box which is common and even in the owners manual which I believe is normally a 10 amp abs fuse (?). I do not have power to the under dash blower motor fuse but do have power to the under dash 7.5 amp abs fuse. Would there be another fusable link somewhere between the box under the hood and the box under the dash?

Davyjojamz

Check fuse 9 and fuse 5 in under dash fuse box 9 is 30amp and 5 is 15 amp

All the fuses are good and I also tested the relay

Davyjojamz
I'm stumped hmac. My thoughts keep going back to the absent #7 fuse in the under hood power distribution center. It is definitety defined in the owners manual as an abs fuse but there are no leads going to the #7 slot and obviously never were. This makes me wonder if they didn't fuse this in another location on some cars. I just put new front brake rotors and rear struts in the car and everything worked when I pulled it into the shop for these repairs. However, I cannot imagine that anything I did there could have caused this problem. If I would have shorted out an abs sensor it should have blown a fuse. Or is did it blow the fuse that isn't there (#7)?

Davyjojamz
Then test your control switch it may not be sending power this isn't automatic temp control is it? I just looked and sent you the wrong info. Its' fuse 23 (15a) and fuse 37 (30a) both as well as the blower relay are in the underhood junction block. Check these first. Relay too. Also check the three places that i've pointed out in last pic also disconnec connector with switch on any speed ans see if blower is getting power cause it could be just eh blower is bad as well.

I still screwed up again damn it's the central fuse box not underhood.

No it isn't automatic temp control but remember the signal lights are not working at the same time. The hazards and brake lights do. For whatever reason the signal lights are tied into the abs and blower on these cars is a moot mystery but this tells me that somewhere there is a break in the circuit that controls the blower motor AND the turn signals. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help on this. There has got to be something here we are both missing.I'm getting a headache ! Thanks for the help my friend. Don't give up on me.

Davyjojamz
Don't worry about the central vs. Underhood fusebox mistake.I followed ya

Davyjojamz
Fuse 23 in central junc box is direct power to t/s not hazard they are powered from underhood Fuse 7 as i'm looking in what manual I have says it is ONLY powered in run not all the time. Also fuse 3 in battery junction box powers abs. Fuse 7 should have a org/yell wire going to it if it doesn't don't worry about it because it worked before. The ground for abs is on the left front engine compt. So check thatas far a st/s try a different flasher/relay that may be the problem there as well as fuse as it's different form hazard fuse. It cold be a bad connection or in your case a bad multifunction switch as well especially if it gets power but doens't put it out. That has happened in past as well.

We are getting somewhere. I had previously replaced fuse 23 as it was blown. Replaced it again and it blew almost immediately but the blower did engage for a second. So there is a short somewhere.

Davyjojamz
Oh. And I had already replaced the multifunction switch.

Davyjojamz
Page 1 of 2