ALL WARNING AND DASH LIGHTS PLUS ALL GAUGES NOT WORKING

1998 Mercedes Benz C200 • 253,000 miles

I went into town, switched off, did shopping, came back, turned on ign. Everything is dead, only lights that come on are alternator and h/brake, car starts fine, those lights go out, drove 45km home, no prob, checked all fuses in engine compartment and boot with test light, both sides ok, checked main wiring harness which plugs into rear of the cluster, no prob. Disconnected batt, left it off for 5 minutes, and reconnected, hoping that the computer will reset. Did not work. Batt is new, alternator charging 100%. Blower motor also not working, yet the two control selectors(speed of motor, and position of air directed)light up when ign is turned on, even though the lights are not turned on. Tough one hey!

Grenvillecl

Our database does not have any information on this vehicle and I hope it is similar to the C230, because that is where I am getting my schematics.

Are the headlights, horns and anything that doses not rewuire ignition to be turned on working?
Apart from the oil and charge indicator, are the speedometer, tachometer, transmission gear position indicator and turn signals working?
Is electronic ignition lock control module emploted?
Did you check for trouble codes?

Hi KHLow 2008, yes all lights, indicators and electronic ignition lock working fine, I did say all gauges not working, speedo, tachometer, fuel and temp. Gauges. Horn ok. The high beam h/light in dash works, as do the indicator lights in the dash.
Sorry, I do not know how to check for trouble codes, and finally, my C200 is a manual g/box.

Grenvillecl
You would need a scan tool to check for trouble codes.

The instrument cluster and A/C is powered by fuse # 30. Did you try taking the fuse out and reinstalling?

Seems to me we just running around in circles, Please read my original question right through to the end, because both of yr replies have been unnecessary, I had already said I checked ALL FUSES, removed and replaced all, they were clean like new, and fitted tightly. Just to put you in the picture, I am a 70yr old pensioner, I was a motor mechanic for 45yrs, and was one of two of the most highly qualified BMW mechanics (Technician)in S.A. At the time, but technology has left me behind, and had never ever worked on Mecedes Benz. My SA pension of R1200.00/ a month does not allow me tyo take the car to the dealership, hence requesting help from you guys. Thank you.

Grenvillecl
Sorry about that but there were nomention of removing and reinstalling the fuses. We work on the blind side here and do not know the technical abilities of the people we are dealing with and quite often when someone tells us they have checked the fuses, we go around in circles and in the end, the fuse was the problem.

Pre y2k technology for vehicles did not really skyrocket, especially for basic electrical systems. What you have is a fault with the electrical system and you don't need to understand rocket sicence to diagnose a missing link.

Mercedes of the era of your vehicle are notorious for wireharness fault requiring the harnesses to be replaced after a certain period of time.

Guess I am done here.

Have a nice day.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I really did not mean my reply to be rude, I was only trying to point out that all the simple options to repair the problem have been done. I know that. Foe example, Nissan in my time had self diagnostic mode built into the computer, one had to first switch it on then read the code it showed by two blinking l.E.D. Lights. I was hoping you could enlighten me with the merc, I though it might have something similar, the only thing i'm sure of is that a Auto electrician has a computer which he plugs in to help him trace the fault, but i'm not sure if it applies to the electrical system. So basically I was hoping you guys knew of the problem frm other merc owners, or something similar, and had a "fix" for the problem. Again my apologies for the way I answered you.
Best regards, Grenville

Grenvillecl
A scan tool, not a code reader, is required to test communications between the various control modules but for your vehicle, I could not find any information to accessing the meter cluster module.

You need to check the power supply and grounding circuit to it and if all works out, the meter cluster itself is faulty.

Some meter clusters fails when a contact of the circuit board solder cracks up and I believe that is where you should be looking at.

OK, one more question, if the indicator lights in the cluster are working, and the alternator plus the h/brake warning lights working, surely the ground circuit and power supply are in order?

Grenvillecl
The instrument cluster uses 3 different power source.

There are 2 differenr ground circuits. Alternator, handbrake, oils sending and most warning lghts uses the component they are attached to to ground the circuit.

Page 1 of 2