BRAKE PROBLEM

1998 Isuzu Rodeo • 130,000 miles

Hi, I noticed a grinding, or clunking noise on braking and it seemed to be related to the passenger side front wheel. I found the inside portion of the rotor badly worn and grooved. I replaced the pads and rotor but the problem still exists. There are no lights on in the dash to notify of a brake system failure.

Brian
Da3and29

Safely lift the wheel off the ground. Apply brakes and release. Does the wheel spin when released?

Yes, the wheel spins after the brake pedal is released.

Brian

Da3and29
The idea that one side of the rotor looks bad makes me believe the caliper is sticking which could cause it to overheat. Have you checked all steering components as well as the ball joints?

Steering and suspension components are in good order. When I compare the sides of the rotor, the inside is about 1/3 the remaining thickness of the outside. Inside bein about 1/8" thick and the outside about 3/8".

Brian

Da3and29
Brian, if there is only 1/8" left, the rotor needs replaced. It should be closer to 1/2 inch. The piston itself may be coming out too far and causing a noise.

I have new pads and a new rotor on and when I test drove it, the same******** motion existed under braking.

Da3and29
Do you think I should change caliper?

Brian

Da3and29
No, if it releases properly, the caliper is most likely fine. Have you checked all brakes? Have you checked wheel bearing?

I havent checked the rear pads, but I did check and repack the wheel bearings on the front passenger side. Is there a way to check for excessive wear on the bearing? I didnt notice anything unusual when I looked at them.

Brian

Da3and29
Basically, remove the weight from the wheel and shake the wheel back and forth to see if there is excessive play. Also, with the bearing out, check the race and rollers for pits or damage. You may want to check the rear brakes too. The noise could be coming from there.