TRANSMISSION 3CLY AND 4CLY FAUTLY

1998 Honda Odyssey • 192,000 miles

When driving it hard to engage to 3rd and 4th gear. And the gear disengage totally when on motion, then engage by itself again but the reverse gear is working perfectly. Have drain the ATF but the problem still continue. What do I do to make it right?
Bukko77

Have a trans guy scan for codes first but sounds like it may be a seal or clutch problem.

Thanks hmac, these are the code P1738, P1739 and P0730. PLS how do I fix the problem and is it advisable to continue to drive the van before I fix the transmission?

Bukko77
The one is a defective shift control system and the other two are defective 2 and 3 shoift pressure switches, but it could all be effected by bad seals/clutches and or a wiring problem like a connection or broken wires at transmission. I don't know how it shifts other than what you have stated so ican't tell you whether to drive it or not. A trans guy could give you a better opinion on that.

Thanks hma300. To do the repair what are the steps to follow. Is it changing of defective 2 and 3 shift pressure switches or bad seal, becase I saw some oil around the transmissions leaking.

Bukko77
You really should have a trans pro look at this because i'm kind of suspecting with mileage it's gonna need an overhaul and replacing the switches are not going to help because of pressure problems. Replacing switches at this point would be a waste of money as well as time.

Ok thanx, I will do that and get back to you.

Bukko77