WHISTLING ONLY AT CERTAIN TIMES

1998 Honda Civic • 4 cylinder Automatic • 70,000 miles

Just got belt's adjusted, not belts, so When car is cold, turn on, take off, and until car is warmed up when I come to a stop and then take off I have a high pitched whistling noise in engine area. If I continue driving it finally stops but until car is warmed up and I come to a stop again it will whistle again after I take off.
Peeg

SO LIKE. WHY DID THE BELTS GET ADJUSTED TO BEGIN WITH?

WERE THEY ADJUSTED CORRECTLY?

YOUR TURN

When you hear the noise, open the hood and take a small amount of water and pour it on the belts (engine running) to see if the noise changes. If it does, the noise is coming from the belts which means they may need adjusted again or need replaced.

Protect your eyes and clothing when doing this. Water will splash. Also, keep your hands / fingers away from the spinning belts to avoid injury.

. WELL MY NEXT-US QUESTION WOULDA BEEN

SEEMS WE'RE THE ONLY ONES THAT'S-A-TYPIN'

WHILE YOU HAD THE BELTS OFF, WERE ALL OF THE PULLEYS TURNING FREELY

. AND WITH IT RUNNING, CAN YOU SEE THAT THE A/C PULLEY AND IT'S CLUTCH TURNING. DOES IT ONLY MAKE THE RACKET WHEN THE "A/C" OR "DEFROST MODES" MAKE THE A/C CLUTCH ENGAGE. THEN STOPS WHEN IT DISENGAGES?

IN MY PIC, JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF PULLEY FAILURE, RATHER NEGLECTED PULLEY FAILURE. THIS ONE IS OF A PLASTIC TENSIONER PULLEY. OTHERS MIGHT BE AN IDLER. A LOCKED UP ALTERNATOR OR A/C COMPRESSOR OR IT'S PULLEY. ETC

NOTICE MY '46 WILLYS JEEP, "WILLY", DOES NOT SMILE LIKE "SARGE". SARGE MUSTA SMACKED SOMEBODY IN THE BUTT!