HAVING SURGES WHILE DRIVING AND IDLING.

1998 GMC Sierra

My truck is a diesel turbo 6.5 it seems to run fine but when I am driving it it seems to have a surge where the truck has more power for about 1-2 sec. And when idling it seems to also surge. Changed oil and filter. And I also changed my fuel filter. I can not figure this out as we do not know a whole lot about diesel engines.
GMC_3500

Injector pump may have an issue or the injectors may be clogged.

I reccomend letting a shop check it for you as it is more complicated than you think and not for a do it yourself unless you have expierence

Ok. The vehicle is not shutting off at all. He just came in from checking the coolant pressure and he said after idling the pressure goes 20+. We suspect a blown headgasket. Could this be what is causing the problems we are having?

GMC_3500
Absolutely. I would resolve that issue first. Make sure you check the heads closely, they are common for cracking.