HOW TO CONFIRM IF A/C SYSTEM IS DISCHARGED OF PRESSURE

1998 GMC Jimmy • 6 cylinder Automatic • 125,708 miles

Hello, I have just recently came back from mechanic and was told I need to replace my compressor because it has "hole" and is "warped". He did a evacuate and recharge to test it. He told me I need to replace drier (I assuming this is the accumulator too), and orifice tube. Along with flushing system. I am able to see the parts to replace and they don't seem hard to take off. I have an empty can of Freon with psi gauge. When I hook it up to low port of system it reads 0 while engine is on and a/c is full blast. Is this reliable indicator to take apart a/c components with out danger?

p.S. It seems the mechanic evacuated, recharged, and evacuated again. : -)
Roycar71

You should have both sides of the system checked with the correct A/C manifold gauge, never crack open any lines to check for pressure.

Mhpautos
Harbor frieght has gauage manifold with low and high gauges. Could this be something used to confirm presure and once confirmed I could take off components? Thanks.

Roycar71
Yes, that will work.

If there is presure. Can vacuum be used? Thanks again.

Roycar71
There may be a small amount of residual pressure. You can vent that with your gauge set.

Well is that common to have no pressure on low part and some on high port?

Roycar71

Ok, I will cost compare amount of gauges vs. Going to shop that would do a evacaute. Thanks.

Roycar71
Good set is about 100.