AIR COMING OUT OF LOW AND HIGH PORT A/C SYSTEM

1998 GMC Jimmy • 6 cylinder Automatic • 125,708 miles

I just changed out my evaporator and accumulator. I did a evacuate(with my gauges and vacuum) and low and high port goes back to zero after I turned off my vacuum. When I put a empty can of freon with air to see if air holds I hear air coming from low and high part, but when I put caps on them the air stops. Is this common?
Roycar71

No, the service valves are leaking and must be replaced.

I can understand the high port. I just changed the accumulator not more than 2 hours ago, and that has my low port.

Roycar71
Check all your connections. When u vacuum down the sys. To -28 to -30 tighten down the low and high side gauges turn the pump off and the vacuum should stay their for 15 minutes. Only then u can fill it.

Cadieman
That is not possible if my low port and high port is leaking right? As stated earlier, I just changed out accumulator that has my low end port. When put air in it air comes out of portss but stops when I put caps on Them. I am process of going to autozone to replace high port but can not screw off low port of accumulator. Thanks.

Roycar71
Yes, it can hold vacuum with the gauges but leak when removed. The caps are just dirt covers, not sealers.

You need to replace the service valves.

If the accumulater is leaking return it its new. Use a valve core tool to remove the schrater valve on the high side hose and replace it.

Cadieman
I have concluded that is the high port. Yes, I will replace valve. Thanks.

Roycar71
Make sure u get the that is for a/c valves if it does not help you will have to replace the high side hose also.

Cadieman