TRANSMISSION

1998 Ford Windstar • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 100,000 miles

My 1998 Ford Windstar van is not shifting out of 2nd gear until I get to 60 mph at 4500 rpm. Any suggestions?
Rickyj1973

Is the first shift late too?

Fixitmr
No the first two shifts are perfectly working great.

Rickyj1973
1 to 2 is 1 shift?

Fixitmr
Sorry! So do you have any suggestions or comments about this matter?

Rickyj1973
Have it checked out at trans shop for diagnosis. Ford trans designs are overly problematic in my experience.

Fixitmr
Thank you for the info but this is something I already knew. I thought I could get a little more information on the Ford transmission problems.

Rickyj1973
Yah, I have not seen any expert trans people on this forum. Or they are using PM?

Fixitmr
Only thing I can add is: Have you kept up with scheduled maintenance as described in the owners manual or a Repair Manual?

Did you check your tranny dipstick?

We are here to help, and we're not sitting in an office, altogether, yacking, we're spread out everywhere, pretty much I'm just doing this for a hobby.

I can do manual trannys in Jeeps---Automatics are a whole different ballgame--there's like 7,785,534 parts in the old ones--the new ones are about the same 'cept now the dang computers control 'em!

Now, special equipment and diagnostic machines. And you sorta gotta know what you are doing!

Like fixitmr said, not too many tranny fellers answer here, we do the best we can. Just messing around with it could make things worse!

It maybe something simple, like a vacuum line/ wire loose. Or it could be much worse!

My wifes Escape lost reverse---Whole thing had to be rebuilt---cost us $1400 (thats very reasonable compared to the other folks I got estimates from).

I find reputable inexpensive resources/ my ways may seem dumb, but they do work!--I do not "give in"!

Wifey hates to take me places, I always ask for a discount/ or a Freebie! Maybe every 5th time it works!---I have gotten the Freebies too! She is AMAZED when it works!

Maybe we could steer you toward some "possible" places to go, who might be less expensive than where you go?

You must be motivated and humble to find/ deal with them.

Last thing, since we sorta KNEW we would be little help--Thus far--We still tried to assist youthere are many other questions to answer, and if you reply---we will continue to try to help you!

The Medic