PLEASE HELP!!!!

1998 Ford Taurus • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

I have a 1998 Ford Taurus. My ac climate pulley stopped spinning and keep melting and breaking belts that I replace. I need to know what could be the cause for this, and how can I repair this problem. Thank you.
Rogubanski

Sounds like your a/c compressor is locking up means bad a/c compressor I would replace the a/c compressor and dryer also flush your a/c lines.

So, by replacing the ac compressor and dryer, would that make a pulley that is not even connected to the compressor work?

Rogubanski
You said your a/c climate pulley I thought you were talking about you a/c compressor pulley. Did you mean your idler pulley?Do you have a pic of it?Its confusing when I cant see what your talking about and you tell me your a/c pulley and your talking about a different pulley.

Also what is the 8th digit of your vin number?

There is a picture diagram on the inside of my hood and that is what it named that pulley. It's all confusing to me. So I just took a picture of the diagram in my manual book. The pulley I am asking about is the one on the bottom right. I need to know if there is anything that would stop it from spinning? What do I need to do to correct this problem? Would I need to replace the pulley also?

Rogubanski
Now iam really confused the right bottom pulley correct?Sure looks like your a/c compressor in the diagram that pulley isn't attached to the a/c compressor?

Yes the right bottom pulley is the one that stopped spinning and is causing my belts to keep breaking. Let me ask someone else to look at my car to see if it is attached to my compressor or not. I am so sorry it is being such a confusing problem. But thank you so much for trying to assist me with answers.

Rogubanski
Look behind the pulley do you see a electricial connector also the a/c compressor with two hoses going to it?The pulley would be attached to that the a/c compressor.

Is the A/C clutch possibly the problem?

Or even if it is a locked-up compressor, shouldn't Mr. Clutch turn loose if the A/C and Defrost were not turned on. Or simply remove the Clutch wire at the clutch to disable the clutch?

Or sorta worded a different way, could the Clutch (pulley) be replaced at a lot lower price than the Compressor?

Fully knowing, you still would be HOT, and have to hang your head out the window, for a breeze!

. But your serpentine belt would have a Operational pulley to run on. And you could drive to places, HOT, like I do!

I ain't never had A/C in my Jeeps! It is possible to "get by", until it's properly repaired!

I do not know what this particular compressor/ clutch looks like, just comparing to ones I am familiar with.

Just a thought!

The Medic

saturntech9, you know all about this "HOT" stuff, Is my suggestion "feasible" on this vehicle?

If the outter pulley is locked up and the inner part of the a/c clutch moves freely then you could get a way with just a clutch.But i have seen a lot of those ford a/c compressors lock up and come apart.I know they make a bypass pulley for that but you have remove the old compressor.You could also try to find a belt without a/c and see if you could bypass it that way.I would try http://www.rockauto.com for the belt number and they have bypass pulleys also.