FORD FIESTA ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Ford Fiesta • 60,000 miles

1998 Ford Fiesta Ghia X 1.4 petrol
Drove car for first time in 8 days after the recent bad weather (very cold/snow), engine started first time with no problem and I have had no previous problems in the 21/2 years I have had the car. Was low on fuel, so drove 2 miles to refuel with unleaded petrol - correct fuel was used. Drove another 4 miles, then as I dipped the clutch and turned off main road into side road the engine stalled. Started the engine again but it was running really rough with loss of power. Drove another 1/2 mile and pulled over. Lifted bonnet but no apparent visable issues with engine, dip stick registered good clean oil. There was a strong smell of petrol from exhaust.
Called AA, who came out checked car and diagnosed possible coil problem and suggested replacing, this was replaced but didnt fix fault, HT leads and plugs were replaced with new but this didnt fix fault either.
I took the car to a local garage who planned to check the car the following day but when they started the engine it ran fine, they took it for a road test with no problems and asked me to come and collect the car.
I collected the car in the evening and took it for a road test myself. Again, it started ok and drove well, even when it reached normal running temperature it was fine. After driving for about 6 miles the problem occured again, I was stopped at traffic lights, car idling and began missing initially but worsened to the point where I had to keep reving the engine to prevent it stalling, the fault appeared worse at low speed/revs. If I accelerated relatively quickly it seemed ok.
By the time I got home and parked up, I had driven 20 miles since filling up the day before and used nearly 1/2 tank of petrol.
I called the fuel station where I refueled to ask if any customers had reported a problem since filling up - no others had been reported.
Any ideas what the problem could be?
Regards
Gareth
Hughesg