MY DAM

1998 Ford F-150 • V8 4WD Automatic • 113,000 miles

My truck shuts off while driving, sitting at light, parked. The dash lights, radio powers off until something resets "relay possibility" after a couple min. You can't turn the key to reset it or anything. It powers back up by its self. Maybe a loose ground? I've checked the battery, cables, key cylinder, starter cables - starter is new, battery and cables are new. Its became unsafe to drive since pulling out into traffic it shuts off, please help. No one send to know, even techs around here.
Nightworld1313

Symptoms indicates a power supply interruption and for such cases, the most likely cause would be the ignition switch, at end of key cylinder.

Has it been checked?

Check the ignition switch wire harness connectors for looseness and look out for signs of overheating.

I was told it was checked, it had been replaced 4 yrs ago, is it hard to change it again, any tricks on changing it sir?

Nightworld1313
Electrical components are difficult to predict their lifespan so 4 years could be a rather long time.

Not too difficult to do and is a straight forward job.

IGNITION SWITCH
Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove steering column opening cover. Remove hood release handle and position aside. Remove parking brake release handle and set aside.

2. Remove steering column opening cover reinforcement. Disconnect ignition switch harness connector. Remove 2 ignition switch screws and ignition switch. To install, reverse removal procedure.

Ok I just replaced the ignition switch, didn't see any signs of heating. The truck is still shutting off at times, powering down then powering back up as before. Any other advice sir? : -(

Nightworld1313
Picture of old switch

Nightworld1313
New switch

Nightworld1313
My dash lights go off, truck shuts off then switches back on. Then I can restart my truck. It dosen't do it all the time but in some cases all the time. Really crazy if I must say sir.

Nightworld1313
That is not the switch. It is the key cylinder.

Switch has wires attached to it located at other end of key cylinder.