COOLING SYSTEM ISSUE

1998 Ford F-150 • 4.6L V8 4WD Automatic • 142,000 miles

I have a '98 F-150 with a 4.6L Triton engine. Recently, I took it to the shop because I was experiencing overheating & blow-back of antifreeze. When driving, after starting cold engine, within 5-10 minutes into the drive the temp gauge pegs out for app. 10-20 secs. Then it goes back to normal. When I pulled over, there was massive amounts of antifreeze covering the driver's side tire-well, as well as under the hood. The 1st visit to the shop, they replaced the thermostat. Told me it was ready. I got about 7-10 miles from the shop and it did the same thing. They replaced the new thermostat with a FORD OEM one and still got the same results. Eventually, they discovered a blown head-gasket. Cylinder 6 spark-plug has some antifreeze on it. After, replacing the head-gasket, it's still doing the same thing. Almost like there's an air pocket in the system somewhere. Any ideas?
Jreid1998

It almost sounds like a blockage try removing lower rad hose draining coolant and replacing cap has it been checked for the h other head gasket leaking?

Yes, when it originally went in, they replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. Also, ran a pressure test which came back okay. I'm not sure if they checked the other head gasket. That's a good question. Is it possible the water-pump is bad, or starting to go bad?

Jreid1998
A water pump just pumps water and does't do that it is either the system is getting to much pressure from a compression leak or there is a blockage in system. Least that is what it sounds like to me.