RUST

1998 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I found out that my accumulator leaks in my 1998 Explorer. If I replace it, will it stop the leak? The problem is it rusted the base of the engine and frame. Is the vehicle salvagable or should it be junked?
Dmmurry

An accumulator is no big deal if you are sure that is the only problem. You will still have to do an evacuate and recharge to change it.

Wrenchtech
?Possibly something I can replace myself? The accumulator shows leakage and that's where the rust begins. And spreads like a virus

Dmmurry
Without seeing the extent of the rust, that question can't be answered. Basically, if you can poke a screwdriver through the rusted section, that's a really bad problem. If the rust is just on the surface, use a rust converting polymer blend, such as Rust- to stop the rust and convert it to a paintable solid surface.
Yes, if the accumulator is leaking refrigerant, replacing it should fix the leak. As long as it is done properly.

Rivermikerat
A/C repairs are not generally DIY repairs. They require some expensive equipment to capture and recharge the refrigerant and knowledge to recognize issues and problems in the system.

Wrenchtech
And my last q--- how do I know if the electric fuel pump is working if I pushed the reset fuel pump switch? I hear the engine and a small small 'putt'

Dmmurry
Hook up a pressure tester at the fuel regulator. Many parts stores have loaner programs for tools.

Check out the attached image. In the power distribution box where the starter relay is located, you'll also find the fuel pump relay. Make sure the switching side of the relay is getting power and make sure it is receiving input power and switched (high current) power. Also, gain access to the top of the fuel tank and make sure the pump is receiving power.

Rivermikerat
"Done properly" pretty much sums up what you said, wrenchtech.

Rivermikerat