STRANGE NOISE

1998 Ford Escort • 90,000 miles

I have a strange noise from reare passenger side wheel. Sounds like a growl but when going round corner and the weight is lifted off that side it stops but as soon as straight again it growls again. Any ideas?
Sarah b

That is a bad wheel bearing. When the weight is removed (based on direction of turn) the sound will lessen. When you turn the opposite way, the sound will get louder because of the weight being added to it.

Is this expensive to fix

Sarah b
If it is a rear one, it won't be expensive. The front can get a little more expensive. However, based on your description (which was perfect by the way) that is the problem.

It usually takes me 3 or 4 posts to get that info from anyone. If you want to try it yourself, let me know and I'll see what I can find to help.

Is it hard to do lol dont forget im female so prob will be lol.

Sarah b
DIFFERENT GUY--SORTA WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO!

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU TAKE IT!

IT'S NOT A HARD FIX!

BUT IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED SOON, THE MORE IT "GROWLS" THE MORE DAMAGE IT DOES. AT 1ST, JUST THE BEARING IS CHEWED UP (NO BIG DEAL, IT MUST BE REPLACED ANYWAY) BUT WHEN IT'S ABOUT GONE, SPINDLES AND HUBS TAKE THE BEATING, THEY ARE "WAY" MORE EXPENSIVE, AND EVEN MORE LABOR!

IF I WERE UNABLE TO DO THIS MYSELF (DIY) HERE'S SOME PLACES TO INQUIRE FOR COMPETENT LESS EXPENSIVE ASSISTANCE, MANY OF THEIR GUY'S "WORK ON THE SIDE" (IF THEIR WORK IS GOOD ENOUGH "ON THE CLOCK", WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?): ASK AT AUTO PARTS STORES

ASK AT AUTO SALVAGE YARDS

BOAT TRAILERS BEARINGS ARE SIMILAR, IT'S THE OFF SEASON! ASK THERE, AT THE BOAT PLACE!

TECH SCHOOLS

IF YOU BUY THE PARTS, I'M GUESSING "LABOR" AT ONE OF THESE MENTIONED ABOVE MIGHT BE $60 OR LESS (KINDA THE "RURAL RATE, AROUND WESTERN S.C!)

CALL THE BIGGER GUYS. JUST TO SEE, WHAT KINDA SUPER DEAL THEY'LL MAKE! LOL!

BE SURE YOU POST YOUR RESULTS!