I WAS DRIVING WITH NO PROBLEM THEN AS I WAS TURNING WITHOUT GEARING DOWN I NOTICE MY DASHBOARD LIGHTS WERE ON LETTING ME KNOW THE CAR HAD CUT OFF.

1998 Ford Escort • 156,000 miles

When I tried to start it as I was still rolling it would not crank. I put it in neutral; I even tried jumping it off as it continued to roll but to no avail.
Mike j

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing