CHANGING THE FIRST AND SECOND GEAR SOLENOID ITS THERE A SEPERATE ONE FROM THE OVERDRIVE OR IS IT ALL TOGETHER

1998 Dodge Truck

Would not shift right in first or second gear. Took out the solenoid and it had four wires and overdrive connected with it. Now for some reason we can not get the part back up into the transmission the shifter arm will not go in binds up. Did we put the wrong part in is there a seperate part just for first and second gear. Everyone I talk to said that it should slid right back in but when we did get it back in would bind up when we tried to shift

Startingover237

Its the parking rod for the parking pawl. It has to go in the right channell to engage correctly. The valve body has to be set perfectly to operate or it, the shifter, will not move.

Did you replace the governor solenoid? It is the most common failure on this trans for this issue.

I guess that is what he did we asked the parts store for first and second gear solenoid and it looks like the governor solenoid. I guess we just need to make sure we are getting it into the right channel is there a special trick in doing this

Startingover237
Experience by trans installers is what it is all about. For a first timer, it is difficult.

There are other solenoids. How do you know which one you got?

I dont its just am going by what the parts store gave me it is first and second grear and has a wire for overdrive

Startingover237
I think we got the right part my major issue is getting that parking rod in the right channel

Startingover237
Refer to my first response.