CLUTCH OR GEARS OR TRANNY OR?

1998 Dodge Neon • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic •

1998 dodge neon, it keeps acting like it's missing out, spark plugs were changed, but still does it and is getting worse. Please help, I need a dependable car to be able to take care of my dad
SKsilver

Are you seeing a check engine warning on the dash? On the surface, it sounds a like perhaps plug wires or a coil pack failing, but computer trouble codes would probably be much more definitive! Take the car to any Autozone and ask them to connect a scanner to read any fault codes. Then write them all down, and report those fault codes on this forum and you are very likely to get adequate help!

Gizmoguy
Yes, the check engine warning goes on and off but so do all of the other ones on the dash, (seatbelt warning, fuel gauge, hot/cold gauge, etc.) And the speedometer works sometimes and sometimes not. Thank you, I will definitely go to autozone first. I will post whether it helped or not. Supposedly 3 mechanics where my dad takes his vehicles to get fixed could not figure it out.

SKsilver
I do know that when I had bought the car, they had run a code reader (whatever it's called) and they said all they come up with was, I think, an oxygen sensor or something and they said it was no big deal.

SKsilver
The O2 sensor can cause a problem but usually not a steady miss. Check to make sure the injectors are working, plugs, coil, and wires are good. If all is good, check engine compression to make sure there are no weak cylinders.