REAR STRUT

1998 Dodge Intrepid • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 115,000 miles

I need to replace the struts on my 1998 Intrepid ES. How do I get at the top mounting bolts for the rear struts?
Mmcmahon32

From the inside of the car-

Uh, . Yeah, I knew that part. Was hoping for a little more detail. Like how to get the interior panels off.

Mmcmahon32
It's accessed through the back seat. You have to remove the seat cushion first and then the seat back.

Wrenchtech
My seats fold down. It looks like I have to remove several pieces. Was wondering which ones and how they come off. There is a frame that the folding seats lock against, the rear window deck lid and the side panels on the pillars.

Mmcmahon32
Remove the lower cushion and the rear seat bolts will be exposed.

Wrenchtech
Ok. After I remove the seat cushion, I assume then that the rear seat bolts gets me the rear seat frame all the way off. Is that all I need to get at the top strut bolts or do I have to take off more trim panels?

Mmcmahon32
Just the seats should do it. It will be obvious if something is in the way when you get the seat out of the way.

Wrenchtech
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you remove the bottom seat cushion? I haven't done that before. I looked and couldn't find any obvious latches or screws. Do you just use brute force?

Mmcmahon32
I have no info on that one. Some of them pull straight up, some have to be pushed rearward and then lifted up and some have a release right at the front edge.

Wrenchtech
Ok. Thanks. I just ordered a Haynes manual. Maybe that will explain it - I hope.

Mmcmahon32
Page 1 of 2