PROBLEMS

1998 Dodge Durango • V8 4WD Automatic •

I HAVE A 98 DURANGO THAT ROTATES BUT WONT GET FIRE

Hightymes28

Do you mean it won't start or it doesn't have spark?

Has no spark replaced the coil, cap and rotor all is correct just no spark from coil or plugs

Hightymes28
Check for voltage to the coil, injectors, or the two small terminal nuts or wires on the back of the alternator. I think that will be a dark green wire with orange stripe. You will find battery voltage there for one second after turning on the ignition switch. What is important is if that voltage comes back during engine rotation, (cranking or running).

There is no power at the coil plug with key on or cranking it over

Hightymes28
Then there is no voltage to the fuel pump or injectors either. The likely culprits are the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. It's their pulses that tell the Engine Computer when to turn on the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay which sends voltage to all of those things.

If the Check Engine light was on there should be a diagnostic fault code stored in the Engine Computer. That code will lead you to the circuit or system with the problem. Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds without cranking the engine, then watch for the code numbers to be displayed in the odometer.

Ok thanks man I really appreciate it will check it out in the morning and thanks again

Hightymes28
I did this but nothing happened no # appeared

Hightymes28
And notice that my security light is stayin on at times

Hightymes28
Then you have a security system problem that is cutting off fuel. Older vehicles would still have spark but they went to a new system in '04. That might kill spark too.

Try the various methods of turning the security system off. Unlock each front door with the key and use the remote key fob. If it works from the passenger door but not from the driver's door, check for frayed or broken wires between the door hinges.