CRANKS BUT WONT START ...GOT SPARK AT PLUGS AND JUST INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY...HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH STARTER NOT ENGAGING BUT IS INTERMITENT ...PARKED CAR AFTER WORK AND NEXT MORNING STARTER WOULD NOT ENGAGE JUST CLICK ...TRIED FEW TIMES AND

1998 Dodge Durango • 135,000 miles

Dont have guage to check fuel pressure
Stosh

Won't start menaing wont turn over or won't fire? Check fuelpressure. Maybe an auto parts store has one to rent. Fuel pressure should be 44-54 at idle.

Ok.I think its getting fuel. Can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on. And when it cranks it acks like it wants to start. Like maybe the timing is off. And I can smell gas. Any suggestions next?

Stosh
Run a scan on the engine and see if there are any codes. But check the pressure as well even if you can smell gas it may not have enough pressure. Also pull a wire form coil and ground it to see ifyou are getting spark, it should be a good spark coming form it not a weak one. It it gets spark there then check plug if not there then check distcap/rotor.

Thank you for your help hmac300.I checked spark as you said all ok. Have a friend coming later with pressure guage to check fuel pressure. Sorry to sound so nieve but how can I check the codes?

Stosh
You'll have to get it to an autoparts store osr see if they rent a scanner. Also look for where number 1 is and run it up to tdc, then check to see if the rotor is pointing to that, if it is then you may have a timing chain bad.

Ok. No codes came up and I check fuel pressure at injector manifold and got 47 lbs.. Also plugged a noid lamp in injector socket ok and then checked position of dist. Rotor at TDC. It was pointing towards number 5 cyl. Position. So it is safe to assume that I have a timing chain falmunction yes?

Stosh
Ya I kind of say so it shoud point to r right around #1

Ok. Heres the problem and is now corrected.I guess what happened was the surpentine belt was slipping due to a faulty tentioner and the alt. Didnt charge the battery and hence didnt have enough power to crank the engine over fast enough. Concequently the engine got flooded and wounldnt start even with the new battery. The timing mark was in the wrong position and end up correct. The fuel pressure is fine the spark was some what weak so I did replace the cap and rotor which was old. Also replaced the belt tentioner. All is good for now. Only have to replace a ring terminal under the tentioner bolt that I broke off and the job is done. I WANT TO THANK 2CARPROS AND EXPECIALLY Hmac300 for all your help. You guys are awesome MAHALO

Stosh