TRANSMISSION LEAK

1998 Dodge Dakota • 160,000 miles

Transmission leaks out of front pump seal. Replaced seal put it back and still leaks. Torque converter looks fine. How do I tear into the tranny and what could possibly be wrong

Dustin
DustinAK

Once the seal is installed, it is stationary. You may have damaged it when installing the torque converter. Also, using a micrometer, you need to check the converter. It may be worn and allowing fluid to bypass it. Make sure you place a thin coating of ATF on the new seal before installing the converter.

By the way, if you need to take it apart, remove the bolts from the front pump, and using a slinding dumbell, pop the pump off. That will get you inside. However, I really don't the problem is there.

Ok we took the torque converter, and front pump to a transmission specialist. He told us that they looked fine. He replaced the front seal and told us there has to be a lip around the seal, He rebuilt the front pump, new bushing, new seal, new o ring, and a new gasket. We put the transmission back up started it and leaking again. The tranny fluid looks like tranny fluid but with a lot of bubbles in it. Could it possibly be old tranny fluid that is pushing out of the bell housing, and do you think it could be anything else. Also the Pickup wont start in park, but it will start in reverse. Any suggestions would be very helpful. This is on a 98 Dodge Dakota 4 Wheel Drive

Dustin

DustinAK
Was it leaking from the front seal again? That makes no sense other than if you took a nick from the front seal when reinstalling. There isn't anything left there to leak. Did you lubericate the lip on the new seal when you installed the converter? As far as the starting issue, it sounds like something is out of adjustment on the linkage to the neutral safety switch. The switch thinks it is in park and not reverse. Otherwise, it wouldn't start. The switch itself could be bad.

Its starts in a running gear. As soon as you let off the brake the tires start to spin. It doesn’t come out of the gear its stuck in that gear, no matter how much you move the linkage its still stuck in that gear. With the leaking fluid tranny got no idea unless the transmission specialist couldn’t see a crack in the converter. We lubricated the seal, we made sure the torque converter was set all the way into the pump. When I put the torque converter on I did it gently so I wouldn’t damage the front seal. Also when I replaced the front transmission pump, the transmission wouldn’t spin when it was suppose to be in neutral. The tail shaft wouldn’t spin. Any suggestions, or do we just replace the whole transmission.

Dustin

DustinAK
If you are moving the linkage (you see it move) it sounds like there is something broken internally. If that is the case, the trans needs taken apart. Please bear with me. This is difficult when I'm not there.

We dont know if its leaking from the front seal again, we didnt have time to pull it apart, I had to go back to work.

DustinAK
Is the leak between the engine and trans?

Ok with the tranny, its leaking in the same spot it has been leaking the whole time, between the engine block and tranny, but I dont know where thats the problem. I replaced everything except the front pump (which was rebuilt)and the torque converter. The first time it started leaking it wasnt a bad leak, when we tried to fix it the first time it was a worse then before, and when we tried to fix it again now it gushes out. It seems that everytime I try to fix it, everything goes bad. Thats ok you are giving me more help then anybody else right now. Also sorry its frustrating having to drop the tranny for the second time and now I have to do it again

DustinAK
Yes its leaking between the engine and transmission.
But I dont know if its leaking from the torque converter, or from the seal, At first it seemed to me that it was leaking from the front seal, but we replaced it so it shouldnt be leaking anymore, or you would think

Dustin

DustinAK
Page 1 of 2