POWER LOSS PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Dakota • 130 miles

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9L V6 and auto transmission. I am having some type of problem with power loss while driving, most noticeably from a complete stop or when starting to go up a hill. I can push the accelerator to the floor, but the engine will not rev past 2000 RPMs until I get up to highway speeds (45-60 MPH.) Even then, I still notice a (minor) loss of power and the engine rarely goes past 2500 RPMS, even if the accelerator is floored. It will rev up normally when I hit the accelerator in neutral and park, and there is zero power loss in reverse. My check engine light has not come on for this problem either. What could be causing this?
Jd89

What you're describing is typical of a plugged catalytic converter. Most mechanics have a back-pressure gauge they insert into the exhaust pipe to measure the results of a restriction.

Oops. Another clue is when the engine is idling, you'll hear more of a hiss from the tail pipe instead of the normal "putt-putt".