DODGE CARAVAN ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Dodge Caravan • 130,000 miles

After a -9 night, my van wouldn't start. Turned over fine, but wouldn't start -- like it wasn't getting any fuel. I thought my fuel line was frozen, but it warmed up to 45 for about 6-8 hours and it acted the same.

I had it towed to Dodge (it's a 98 Dodge Caravan) and they told my something about the cylinders not getting equal compression and so forth -- in short, they tell me I need a new engine.

What? It had zero negative symptoms! Does this sound right?
Trudger

9 days and the engine blew up -Wow! Go and review this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over

What? Not 9 days and the engine blew up! It was -9 degrees! Do these questions actually get read and answered on here?

Trudger
Also, that link has nothing to do with the symptoms. Would really appreciate someone reading and understanding what I wrote, then giving me an intelligent response. Thanks.

Trudger
I'm trying to tell you something here- Turned over fine, but wouldn't start -- like it wasn't getting any fuel. Why don't you get a fuel pressure check and rule out the fuel pump instead of thinking of a new engine from the dealership-but if you wish you can get one-

What's the engine compression results by cylinders when taken?

You say it cranks over and will not start? Turned over fine, but wouldn't start -- like it wasn't getting any fuel-

Also, that link has nothing to do with the symptoms: This applies to your problem-Let me ask do you need help or not?

You'll be dealing with me all the way best pay close attention or should I just ignore your reponses due to lacking confidence and quit bcuz I don't need this

My bad on the minus sign and the link: Try this : http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Yeah, I really want to get a new engine from the dealer.?

Anyway, on the compression test, I don't quite understand all of this, that's why I am asking for help here.

Apparently, a couple of the plugs are shot. They are not getting even compression (or something like that). Fuel is leaking through the o-rings to some degree. The head gasket is leaking or something -- there is oil and anti-freeze very slightly leaking. There was mention of the cylinders, but this is all Chinese to me.

So, when I went there this morning (I just had it towed yesterday) it fired right up! This after a week of not starting. What the mechanic told me was that it was flooded, so he held the pedal to the floor and turned the key to burn off the excess fuel. From that point on, it has started and run normal.

I asked him if there could be any correlation between the -9 degree night and the van not starting. He said yes, that the rings could have shrunk (or something like that) and fuel could have leaked through. Now that the excess fuel is burned off, and temperatures are back to 'normal', it's doing okay.

So what do you think?

Trudger
Its probably an injector sticking and flood out the engine that caused it not to start-have the injectors checked and replace the sparkplugs-to include a fuel pressure checked-