1.6 NOT STARTING

1998 Citroen Xsara • FWD Automatic •

Yesterday my Citroen Xsara failed to start.
I have been driving for a couple of years and yesterday I drove it to a local store for a quick arrend. I was in about 15 minutes and when I got back the car fails to start.

The startenginge starts whirling but the engine never kicks off. I have checked all fuses (only one broke/missing was one for the timing of headlight washer. I have also tried starting with jumpercables without any luck.

The symptoms, in addition to the fact that the car won't start is that the radio, central locking, in-car lightinh and in-car clock doesn't seem to work. Headlights/brakelights are working though.

Another interesting thing. When I use the left turnsignal, the radio and in-car clock switches on and off and when I use the irght turnsignal the speeddial and revmeter goes bananas (obviously without me racing the car)
JoacimSvensson

We have no information for that vehicle but from what you describe check to see if there is fuisble link on the starter or where your battery lead connectsto. If the starter whines but doesn't turnthe engine over then your starter drive is probably shot and you need arebuilt starter or a starter drive at least. Aslo check your grounds from the battery to body and engine to body.

But would a shot starter account for the electrical failure causing the other symptoms?

JoacimSvensson
It could but it sounds more liek the starter drive isn't working well. Fusible links can fail do to many reasons.