CHRYSLER CIRRUS ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Chrysler Cirrus • 80,000 miles

1998 chrysler cirrus engine starts but wont idle. With the key in the ignition all the lights work and such with no problem, ran a meter on the battary and has a good charge, but when I turn the car over engine starts but wont idle, dies right away. I can keep the engine going with the accelarater, but that doesnt help me any where I live with constent stops and such. I have heard it may be a vaccum compretion issue or an idler issue. Does anyone have an idea and a fix with cost would be nice. Thanks A1C Orr, Johnathan
AirmenOrr

Sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.