CHEVROLET EXPRESS SEAT BELT PROBLEM

1998 Chevrolet Express • 180,000 miles

My seat belt doesn't "ding" anymore when the driver seat belt is not used. My son will be using this vehicle and I want to make sure that he properly belts up when he's driving. Can you tell me how the system works for my 1998 Chevy express 1500 1/2 ton van and how to repair it. Everyone tells me to go to the Dealer. I'd rather have root canal than pay their prices.

They are very complicated as they are part of the air bag system as well. So it is something you want to get right. However, as long as you are careful and disonnect the battery during repair, all you are doing is replaing a switch. The seat belt switch is bad and needs replacement. You might have to buy Torx bits to do the job but it is not too difficult. If you get any check air bag system lights, just go to any Advance Auto ro Auto Zone and they will clear the codes for free. It happens sometimes during repair. If there is a fault it will still persist.