MY TEMP GAUGE ISN'T WORKING PROPERLY

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier • 225,000 miles

I've tried replacing a coolant temp sensor but it still isn't working, I only get a reading within the first quarter on my gauge but hardly anything higher than that. Any ideas?
Tjsk8boardz

-Test the thermostat-start here and then let me know

Already replaced that too, forgot to mention it earlier

Tjsk8boardz
Check the CTS wiring back to the computer for open/short circuit

Ok now where is the computer located? How can I test it?

Tjsk8boardz
And if theres no short or open circuit what else can you suggest?

Tjsk8boardz
What liter engine?

No short or open in the CTS circuit-could be the computer or the Cluster itself

Its the z24, 2.4l twin cam engine. I have a new connector plug for the themp sensor incase if the needed to be replaced but I haven't gotten around to changing it yet and I wanted some advice before I went and did it anyway

Tjsk8boardz
I completely forgot to mention that my car has a manual override switch for the rad cooling fan, I guess the fan wasn't turning on by itself so someone put it in, now I was wondering if the way they wired it would affect the temp gauge? They bypassed
everything the way they wired it in, they ran a wire from the switch to a random relay outside of the fuse box, then from that relay to the fuse box and from there they wired it to the cooling fan relay and fuse. Which I don't think makes any sense at all, but would that have an affect on my problem?

Tjsk8boardz
Check if the cooling fan is turning the right way

Ok, is it supposed to turn clockwise or counter clockwise looking in the engine compartment?

Tjsk8boardz