NEED HELP REPLACING VACUUM HOSES!

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier • 15,500 miles

My check engine light recently lit up, and my car started to idle very low and rough, so I took my car to an auto parts store and got my codes checked. No numbers came back, only a bad emissions reading or something along those lines. The guy told me I probably have a loose or leaky vacuum hose. I looked at the diagram in my car of the vacuum hoses, but I can't figure it out. First, I need to know that I'm on the right track by wanting to replace my vacuum hoses. Second, I need help locating them!
Alliedv22

If there saying something about emissions then sounds like you have a emissions code which could be a vacuum leak for the evap.

Is your check engine light on now?If the check engine light is coming on while the engine is running there has to be codes somewhere.

Yes, my check engine light is on steady. Where is the evap. And attached hose?

Alliedv22
What size engine do you have?If the light is on solid please try to get someone else to read the codes.I need the exact code numbers not code decriptions. That would really help me help you. Because right now iam flying even blinder then usual helping people online fix there cars. The evap line runs from canister solenoid all the way to the gas tank on top the gas tank under the car etc.I need the codes to better help you were you even start looking for the problem.

It's a 2.2 L. I'll check on those codes

Alliedv22
The code from the auto parts store is p0440 evap. Emissions

Alliedv22
The first thing I would check for that code is your gas cap see if the seal is cracking missing split etc. Thats going to be a fun to diagnose diyer code if its not the gas cap. Because the best way to look for a leak is with a evap smoke machine. You can see if a kind smog station will test the gas cap for you for free.

This could be causing it to idle low/rough?

Alliedv22
I posted a diagram of where the canister purge solenoid is its number 18 in the diagram. See if both hoses are hooked up and undamaged. Also see if the solenoid is stuck open air shouldnt pass thru it unless its got power and ground. Also to answer your question the two problems may or may not be linked.

The rubber connecting one of the hoses is frayed, almost like slightly deteriorating. That same hose runs to the back of my engine, and has a splitter so two more hoses could stem from that one, but one is missing?

Alliedv22
Page 1 of 2