!998 CHEVY

1998 Chevrolet Camaro • 140,000 miles

Hi I finally found out what the oil smell was in my moms 1998 Chevy Camoro. The valve cover in the back is wet and you can see oil on it. I am going to try to tighten the cover a little bit. The seals have never been changed before. They are original. Do they make a liquid stop leak for the covers. I know bars makes head gaskets liquid that seals them. If they dont I will replace both covers. Autozone has both covers for 19.99 and that includes a right and left valve cover. Also how long does it take to change them. This will be my first ever valve cover change ever. Also how hard is it. Thanks.
Sean03

No liquid sealer. They never work anyway.

Takes about 2 hours in a shop. Double the time at home.

Skill level is low. Take your time and move everything out of the way.

Ok thanks. I also have hi temp gasket sealent it is a spray can. I used it on my water pump it did great can I use it on the valve cover gaskets to. Thanks.

Sean03
I advise against it.

Ok. So I should use the blue rtv sealent from napa. They are the closes to me.

Sean03
No, use good quality gaskets and thats it. No rtv or sealants

Ok so just install the gaskets and don't put any sealents on them and then just tighten them down. Is this correct. Thanks for your help I am sorry for so many questions. I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up. This is my first time.

Sean03
Thats correct

Ok Thanks much.

Sean03
Also be sure that all traces of old gasket are removed, make plenty of notes as you work so you remember wher small bits go, nothing worse than having a bolt left over! And as Roy says take your time, do it once do it right!

Mhpautos
Ok yeah I usually work slow anyways. I do it slow so I don't have to re do it. Thanks for the advice.

Sean03