POWER STEERING PROBLEM

1998 Buick Regal • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 45,000 miles

Serpentine belt broke due to tensioner bearing freezing. Drove it for another 4 minutes and stopped before it reached max temperature/redline. It was stopped in a bad area, so waited for an hour plus, then drove it out of the area and again stopped before redline. Next day drove it another 5 minutes plus but stopped before redline. Replaced the tensioner the power steering started having pulses of assist and then none. Drove home for two hours with steering problem. I think it is the pump, how do I check to see? 1998 Buick Regal 45,000 miles. Still runs good, just the power assist problem with the steering.
Bobjimflys

Did you check the power steering fluid level? (I like how you were smart enough to nurse it along without overheating the engine). When turning the steering wheel and moving the rack and pinion assembly, fluid will get pushed into the reservoir and usually will overflow onto the ground. Once the belt is replaced you'll have to refill the reservoir and burp the air out.