HIGH TONE HOWL COMING FROM PASSENGER REAR TIRE

1998 Acura RL • 90,000 miles

I am hearing a high tone howl. I believe it is coming from the passenger rear tire. It doesn't make the howl when I drive short distances( live 2 miles from work). When I drive 20 mins though it will begin to act up(highway and city). It will continue to get louder and more constant after this point. If I stop driving and let the car sit for even a somewhat short 15 mins it will not make that noise unless I drive more than a few miles or so. The noise doesn't always happen when I turn but as it gets worse it will howl when turning. The howl stops when I apply the breaks but will start when I let off of them. Would like to fix the problem myself is possible.

Thank you for your time and expertise, it is greatly appreciated.

1998acura_rl3.5

Check the wheel bearing on that wheel. If it gets worse when you turn, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. The weight distribution changes when turning. When more weight is applied to the bad bearing, it gets louder. That is what I recommend checking first.

I took off the tire and router. I don't have the right socket to get the wheel bearing out but when I spun it there was no noticeable noise and it spun easily. Also it was in securely

1998acura_rl3.5
Can you tell me what direction you turn that makes it louder? That way I can determine if you are on the correct side.

Actually after taking off the pads I found one was wearing very badly. After this I check the two nuts on the caliper and found one was seized up. I cleaned up the bolts and relubed everything andnow no sound is being made

1998acura_rl3.5
Great! That was an easy fix. If you used the same pads, remember the one is going to go bad before the others.

Funny, I went through a similar situation on an Expedition. Inner pad, driver side was the problem.

Yeah I am happy with the result. Thanks again for the advice

1998acura_rl3.5
Glad to help, but you found the problem (lol). Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.