STARTING PROBLEM 97 NO SPARK

1997 Volkswagen Jetta • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

I have a 97 jetta 2.0/5 speed with 12v to the coil output wire but no spark. Bought a used distributor and still no spark with either distributor cap. Some people in forums say either the crank position sensor (engine speed sensor) or the ECU/ECM. Just bought the crank sensor but I do not want to take it out of the package unless it is the problem. My local pick-n-pull has an ECU for $27 and the crank sensor for $6 but I hear they are problematic and I dont want to throw more money out the window. Thus I would like to know if there is a way to test the ECU or crank sensor. I have a multimeter and a test light. Please reply with any help.
Benson-stacy

Starting problem 97 jetta no spark

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing