HOW DO I REPROGRAM THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR?

1997 Volkswagen Jetta • 400,000 miles

Keep getting codes 1544 & 1580, but the car runs great.
Bigfoot15

Oh & I have already adjusted the throttle cable.

Bigfoot15
Tried disconnecting the battery for awhile?

Fixitmr
Yes. Another expert, GREAT.I paid % bucks for another SWAG.

Bigfoot15
ALL disconnecting the battery does is erase the codes until you drive the car again. HEE HAW HEE HAW.

Bigfoot15
Disconnecting the battery also sends the pcm into RELEARN mode, but my problem is with the TPS, not the PCM.

Bigfoot15
Throttle adaptation is performed with a scan tool.

If adaptation does not take, or errors persist, check wiring. Replace throttle body if no faults are found.

Exovcds
Tell me more about adaptation. Nobody has told me about adaptation in so many words.I am trying to avoid replacing the the throttle body since it runs so good. Just ask the guy in the pickup with the hemi that I smoked.

Bigfoot15
Throttle adaptation is performed on throttle bodies that are "motorized".

If your engine does not have motorized TB, then no adaptation can be done.

What size engine have you got? I assume VR6?

You will need to use VCDS (vag-com) to run the adaptation. Clean the throttle body
before adaptation, as a dirty throttle bore can cause idle issues & set idle codes.

Follow the directions in the link above to perform the adaptation.

Thomas

Exovcds
Go back. Oh never mind.I donate5 $ and told them it was a 1997 VW JETTA 2.0.& They dont even bother to print the whole dang @#$%^&*question. Any how it is a 1997 VW Jetta with a 2.0 8 valve engine with a throttle cable(I did mention this). If it has a cable, does this not mean it is not an electronic, fly by wire, motorized throttle? Where are the goldamned professionals I donated to. If I get some real solid answers, not Goldamned SWAG, I will donate for every future question.

Bigfoot15
I'm a user just like you. I didn't see that it was a 2 liter engine.

I assumed VR6 because you smoked the hemi! : )

You can not "reprogram" the tps. It is just an input to the ECM

Post a picture of your engine bay and I will tell you if the throttle body is motorized or not.

Drive by wire didn't start until 2001, but cable & motorized TB were around in 97/98.

Exovcds
Page 1 of 3