VAUXHALL ASTRA ON STAR PROBLEM

1997 Vauxhall Astra • 95,000 miles

Hi, am having a problem sometimes starting my astra petrol 1.4, its very random, ignition ticks over fine, but sometimes just failing to kick in. Leave for sometime or overnight and it starts fine next morning? Its happenend about 4 times, once waiting for repair man. He checked things and then about an hour later just before he started to tow, he gave it one more go and it started up fine! He suggested changing coil, got the garage to do this but it happened again. So not that. My feeling is its fuel related, sometimes on start up there is a strong fuel odour and it was quite low on petrol twice when I broke down. And very occasionally it makes a misfire when driving. Could there be ablockage, or airlock in the fuel system? And how would one rectify this? Any help greatly appreciated! And will it be an expensive job to do?
rachael

Scan for codes and check fuelpressure first. However we have no specs on this car as it's not in u.S.