TOYOTA COROLLA WATER PUMP PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Corolla • 72,000 miles

I plan to have the timing belt changed. Some places say I have to have the water pump changed. My online search says that the two parts are driven by two different belts and I do not need to have the water pump changed but for convenience it would be a good idea. I drive about 200 miles a month in the car. Help me please

I wouldn't be able to tell you unless you tell us what engine you have.

Wrenchtech
Which engine do you have?It doesnt look like ethier engine that comes in the car that the water pump is ran by the timing belt. So what is your question?The reason behind replacing a water pump driven by the timing belt is because if the old pump leaks or siezes up you could loose the belt and damage the engine.

1.8 Litter

Cheyeebony
I don't want to pay for unnecessary work to increase the car repair bill. If the water pump does not need to be removed, then I do not want to remove it in order to replace the timing belt.

Cheyeebony
It is common practice to replace the water pump when doing a timing belt because a lot of the labor is duplicated although this engine has more separation than most and there is no risk of the pump damaging the timing belt on this engine.

Wrenchtech
Alright hears the deal the water pump is under the timing belt cover thats why there saying to change the water pump. So in opion you should change it. Do you have to change it to replace the belt no. Hope this answers your question.

I want to thank both of you for you help.

Cheye Ebony

Cheyeebony
Your welcome thats what were here for.